Friday, 18 December 2015

Final Third Year Project

It has been a long time since I have made any posts about what I have been up to, apologies!!! Since being back at uni I have completed a project which involved after effects ( you can see the finished animation here: https://vimeo.com/145074248 ) I also managed to get two extra weeks work experience on the latest film being made in Bridgend - 'Chuck Steel: Night of the Trampires' where I was lucky to have a month there in the summer! Things are looking incredible there and I am excited to see it when it is finished!!! If you have the time check out the short film here: http://nightofthetrampires.com/the-short-film/ 


Now .. onto the latest project!


Me and another student at the university of South Wales, Nicole are currently working on a collaborative showreel/film piece! Its all very exciting! There are going to be a series of short sketches about two policemen: Good cop and Bad cop. Good cop is an OCD, old - fashioned man who is stuck in the past and obsesses over doing the job right. In complete contrast, Bad cop has hit a mid life crisis, recently divorced, he has given up his cares and does what the hell he likes. He is everything that infuriates Good cop; dirty, lazy, doesn't care about how the job is done as long as it is done quick so he can get back to smoking, drinking, eating his donuts - you get the picture!

We each took a character to develop, mine being the good cop! Here he is after the first colour test! 


Here are the two together!



I thought I would add this test with white lines instead of black for stylistic development!

Sunday, 10 May 2015

Major Project Production

Sorry it has been a while! Been very busy! Here are some pictures of what I've been working on. I will not post too much as i don't want to give too much away! 



Thanks to Malvern Armatures for all the help with the ball and socket joints! I also purchased the shoulder and hip pieces from Malvern armatures! http://www.malvern-armatures.co.uk/ 

The feet and the balls for the sockets were purchased from here: http://www.animationtoolkit.co.uk/ 




My Moulds for the hands







 That's all i'm afraid! Thanks for having a look and i'll post up the rest of my animation at the end of the term! 



Second year major project pre production

This is a selection of my drawings and finished sheets from my current project, Sailing away. The story is based on a true story, of a girl and her Grandpa and their' adventures fishing. It focuses on a flashback technique where lily is remembering the good times with her Grandpa, who, in the present day has sadly passed away. The story is about the love and friendship they share, through their journey of fishing on 'the rusty blue'.





  Observational drawings for my character Lily. These were a mixture of found photos and my own research photos.

looking at different shapes for Lily's head and her hair - how aging can be shown 

Originally i was looking at the shape of toddlers and pushing the proportions.


Different shapes made out of a single stroke of watercolour. This is looking at the development of my other character, Grandpa Charlie.


initial ideas for the head of the grandpa

different body shapes for Lily - trying to push past the ordinary shape of a human 




Above, bottom left, my developed character for Grandpa Charlie.


Lily still needs some work, but the body in the top right and the head to the left are what i am working on at the minute.






initial prop studies above

simplistic silhouettes

size comparison



above, looking at simple shapes digital and painted

my final character for Lily aged 5 at the bottom


looking at the profile, 3/4 and back views


It is important in my animation that the ageing gets across to the audience, so above are ways in which i plan to get this across, productively without reproducing the puppets as this will be costly both in money and also time. 







in situ tests for how the characters will look in their' environment


different stages of how each character will look growing older




first armature plans




contour lines to help me understand the shape of the characters. this will be useful when making my Marquette






watercolour studies of props and characters - further development

different background tests
ball and socket armature plans




above are my turnarounds for Lily, younger and older. I am really pleased with the difference between the two for the time i want to show in the story

expression s for Lily




I am really pleased with my turnarounds for Charlie. I feel the ageing works well, but he still looks like the same character. 





poses - some are in the story some i did for better understanding of the characters and their relationship 


Final finished in situ image of my characters and environment. I am really happy with all my work to this point, it will work well in stop motion. 

Final props

The next stage is to sculpt my characters, and then begin to make the armatures. I will keep posting all about it as it is going on! 

I also decided to keep things simpler with the faces, as replaceable faces (as much i want to push myself to do them) isn't very necessary for this project and the characters have very small changes in the face rather than loads of dialogue.