Thursday, 24 April 2014

Steve the builder's progress


This is Steve with all his padding (wadding and foam) and his head which is made from balsa wood.


I began by pinning sections of material to Steve to create the jumper. I used a navy material as i thought it would work nicely against the fluorescent vest.


Here is his hi vis vest before it was sewed!


His vest took all day but was worth it! It has wire running all the way round to help support it when Steve is wearing it. 


Steve with all his clothes on! 


I kept the paint on Steve's face very neutral, and just added a little pink to his cheeks for a rosy look!


Here's Steve with all his tools, and wearing his hard hat! (made out of a bottle top) All that is left to do is attach his eyebrows, make some mouths and cast his latex boots and hands back at uni! I am so pleased with Steve!

Monday, 14 April 2014

Moulding and Casting Steve's hands and boots







       This is the beginning of the process of making the hands and boots out of latex. I will finish this when i get back after Easter.
       I began by making my desired hand and boot shapes out of Plasticine, i then moulded the hands into a clay base, making sure all the gaps were sealed. After doing this i created four walls around the clay keeping them bound with hot glue so there were no gaps. The next step was to mix some plaster, then carefully pouring it into one corner of the mould so that less air bubbles are formed. Once this was set, i turned the cast over, cleaned the cast with water and repeated the walls around the cast. With a paint brush i brushed Vaseline all over the cast so that it was easier to separate the two casts later on. Mixing a second bowl of plaster i poured this over the other cast and left it to harden. When done i had 2 separate casts for my hands ready to latex. (it is also important to make 'keys' in the mould - in the clay i pressed a round object into all four corners so that the casts can fit neatly together)
     The boots were less complicated - I placed them in the middle of four secure walls with a piece of wire sticking out the top of the Plasticine. (where the leg will be)  I then simply poured plaster over the boot until it came just over the top of the boot.

Practice model and armature plan


 This is a small model of the head i did (ignore the colour!) to see how Steve will look from all angles. The armature plan is on the right, with a few of the body pieces that I've made already. Tomorrow i plan to assemble my armature and begin to pad him out!

Steve the Builder


For our final project we are doing character exploration, with a walk, lip sync and performance. My character Steve, is based on my Dad who is a builder (he doesn't look like this though!)